Reading for the Logic Stage IA
Full-year course. Reading for the Logic Stage IA is designed to engage logic-stage students in reading and literary discussion at a relaxed pace. Students will come together with their instructor once a week to talk about that week’s reading. The instructor will provide prompts for class discussion; these questions will guide that week’s discussion. Students will also be given the opportunity to serve as discussion facilitators throughout the semester. Reading for the Logic Stage IA goes at about half the pace of the Level I offering. This course is suitable for students who enjoy reading at a more leisurely pace.
Reading for the Logic Stage courses are meant to inspire a love of reading, introduce students to a range of texts, and touch on the foundations of literary analysis. Reading for the Logic Stage I/IA is the first course in the three-level sequence. In RFLS IA, students will be introduced to the practice of reading and responding to texts individually and in conversation with others, in both written and discussion formats. While this course provides an academic context and instructor guidance in the discussion and comprehension of the course texts, the primary goal of RFLS I/IA is to encourage students to develop a love of reading and to share their ideas about what they are reading with others.
You may also like...
Full-year language course for middle school students.
One-semester language arts elective for middle or high school students.
Reading for the Logic Stage IA Information
- Example Syllabus
- Class meets once per week for 50-55 minutes.
- Class cap: 15 students.
- Designed for grades 5-7.
- Click here to purchase the course texts.
- The Birchbark House, Louise Erdrich
- Brown Girl Dreaming, Jacqueline Woodson
- El Deafo, Cece Bell
- The Giver, Lois Lowry
- The Hobbit: Illustrated Edition, J.R.R. Tolkien
- Little Women, Louisa May Alcott
- Murder on the Orient Express: A Hercule Poirot Mystery, Agatha Christie
- Navigating Early, Clare Vanderpool
- They Called Us Enemy, George Takei
- The Witch of Blackbird Pond Paperback, Elizabeth George Speare