Advanced Chemistry Lecture and Lab
Full- year course. This class is designed for students who would like to be prepared for the Advanced Placement Exam in Chemistry. Topics covered in this class include atomic structure and properties, the structures of molecules and ions, intermolecular forces, chemical reactions, kinetics, thermodynamics, acids and bases, and equilibria. Students are expected to come to class having read the assigned pre-class reading, prepared to discuss problems, and to work individually and in groups to solve assigned problems. Students should expect to spend 5-7 hours each week working on assignments for this class.
Prerequisites: Successful completion of Algebra II is required. Successful completion of high school chemistry is highly encouraged. Students should be comfortable using a keyboard to input work. Students must have access to Google Docs, Microsoft Word, and Powerpoint or similar programs, which contain an equation editor so that mathematical equations can be entered into text.
Students in Advanced Chemistry are required to take a full year of Advanced Chemistry Lab. Students enrolled in this course will earn 2 lab science credits. Students will be given access to Labster, a premier lab simulator, for use in the lab portion of this course.
Students who wish to list an AP course taken at WTMA on their homeschool transcript must register with the College Board. Once registered, they can indicate that they are using the Well-Trained Mind Academy as their online course provider. If a student wishes to take an AP exam, they must register to sit for the test with a local school. Our AP instructors provide information to their students about how to find a testing site and register for the exam.
You may also like...
Scholar’s Seminar: Literature at the Limits
Advanced high school course focusing on close reading and critical analysis.
Counting and Probability II
Math elective for students who have completed Algebra II and want to explore creative problem solving.
Advanced Chemistry Lecture and Lab Information
- Example Syllabus
- Computer Requirements need to run Labster:
- Processor: Dual-core 2 GHz or higher
- RAM: 4 GB or more
- Graphics card: Intel HD 3000 / GeForce 6800 GT / Radeon X700 or higher
- OS: Latest version of Windows (64-bit) or Mac OS or ChromeOS
- Supported browsers: Latest version of Firefox and Chrome
- A stable internet connection, same internet capacity as a low-quality YouTube video (500 kbps) – To check your internet speed, please use this link.
- Class meets three per week for 50-55 minutes (two days of lecture, one day of lab).
- Class cap: 12 students.
- Designed for grades 11-12.
- High school students may be awarded 2 Lab Science credits upon completion of this course.
- Click here to purchase the course texts.
- AP Chemistry, 14th Edition, McGraw Hill Education
- Princeton Review AP Chemistry Premium Prep, 2023
- Graphing Calculator