Advanced Calculus AB
Full-year course. This course will prepare students to take the College Board’s Advanced Placement Calculus AB Exam. Topics include limits, continuity, differentiation, integration, power series, plane curves, and elementary differential equations. Students will balance weekly short-answer questions with longer proof assignments to ensure a deep understanding of the concepts of calculus; the mix of assignments will give students time to practice applying the concepts learned when solving problems. Over the course of the year, students will complete previous AP Calculus AB exams in order to practice and feel confident about the test-taking strategies that will help them during the official exam.
Prerequisite: Completion of WTMA AoPS Pre-Calculus or a similar rigorous or honors level Pre-Calculus course; AoPS Calculus pre-test.
Students who wish to list an AP course taken at WTMA on their homeschool transcript must register with the College Board. Once registered, they can indicate that they are using the Well-Trained Mind Academy as their online course provider. If a student wishes to take an AP exam, they must register to sit for the test with a local school. Our AP instructors provide information to their students about how to find a testing site and register for the exam.
Advanced Calculus AB Information
- Example Syllabus
- Class meets three times per week for 50-55 minutes.
- Class cap: 12 students.
- Designed for grades 10-12.
- High school students may be awarded 1 Mathematics credit upon completion of this course. Course may be listed as “honors” on transcript.
- Click here to purchase the course texts.
- Calculus (Art of Problem Solving), 2nd Edition
- Cracking the AP Calculus AB Exam 2020, Premium Edition: 6 Practice Tests + Complete Content Review
- Students are required to provide their own graphing calculator. We recommend the TI-84 Plus CE or other graphing calculator approved for use on the AP exam; other graphing calculators are acceptable for students who are only taking the class.