Pre-Algebra (Problem-Solving Approach)
Full-year course. Prepares students for advanced mathematical study using a problem-solving approach. Emphasis on problem-solving skills; topics include but are not limited to single and multi-variable equations, data analysis, introduction to number theory, graphing, measurement, exponents, square roots, and introduction to geometry. This course emphasizes learning how to solve difficult problems. Students are allowed, and encouraged, to attempt problems multiple times until they master the concept. Read about the Well-Trained Mind Academy approach to Art of Problem Solving here.
Prerequisite: Pre-Algebra Readiness Test
The course was tough but my kid learned a ton. I highly appreciate challenging courses! - Parent Course Evaluation
Pre-Algebra (Problem-Solving Approach) Information
- Example Syllabus
- Class meets three times a week for 50-55 minutes, or twice per week for one hour and fifteen minutes.
- Class cap: 15 students.
- Designed for grades 6-8. Course may be listed as “honors” on transcript.
- Click here to purchase the course texts.
- Art of Problem Solving Prealgebra
- Art of Problem Solving Prealgebra Solutions Manual (Recommended)