Music Theory B
Full-year course. In Music Theory B, students will further their understanding of tonal harmony (scales, chords, intervals, etc) and apply this understanding to analysis of increasingly complex music. Students will practice solfege, melodic and harmonic dictation, and ear training skills. Music is primarily an aural medium, but students will also learn to do analysis of music by sight to develop an aural map of what they will hear. Throughout this course, students will practice composition techniques and real-life application of the skills they are learning through performance on their own musical instruments.
Students who complete Music Theory B will be prepared to take the Grade 8 exam from the exam board of the Royal Schools of Music (ABRSM) and the Level 9 Royal College of Music (RCM) exam.
Prerequisite: Music Theory A (Formerly Intermediate Music Theory)
Music Theory B Information
- Example Syllabus
- Class meets twice per week for 50-55 minutes.
- Class cap: 15 students.
- Designed for grades 9-12.
- High school students may be awarded 1 Fine Arts credit upon completion of this course.
- Click here to purchase the course text.
- Theory Time: DIAMOND Level Medallion Workbook.