History of the Medieval World
Full-year course. A survey of medieval nations from 476 through 1453, covering the disintegration of the Roman empire, the rise of the Holy Roman empire, the struggle between papacy and nations, the origins of the modern nation-state, and the rediscovery of Aristotle that led to the Renaissance. The class will focus on the ways in which the ideas and thinkers of the age led to the development of the modern world. When taken in combination with our Medieval and Renaissance Literature course, this provides the integrated Great Books and History coverage recommended in The Well-Trained Mind.
History of the Medieval World Information
- Example Syllabus
- Class meets once per week for 50-55 minutes.
- Class cap: 20 students.
- Designed for grades 9-11.
- High school students may be awarded 1 Social Sciences credit upon completion of this course.
- Click here to purchase the course text.
- The History of the Medieval World, Susan Wise Bauer