Introduction to Number Theory
One-semester course. How do we use integers? Are there limits to how they can be used? This course will be a challenging introduction to number theory, a look at how integers work, how they can work together, and what patterns we can create. We will cover primes and composites, base numbers, modular arithmetic, linear congruences, special numbers such as palindromes, and much more. This course, similar to other AoPS courses, emphasizes learning how to solve difficult problems. Students are allowed, and encouraged, to attempt problems multiple times until they master the concept.
Introduction to Number Theory Information
- Example Syllabus
- Class meets once per week for 50-55 minutes.
- Class cap: 15 students.
- Designed for grades 8-12.
- Students in grades 8-12 may be awarded .5 Mathematics or Elective credit upon completion of this course.
- Click here to purchase the course text.
- Art of Problem Solving Introduction to Number Theory, 2nd Edition