Full-year course. This course builds on the foundations established in French I-French III. Over the course of the academic year, students will learn how to give their opinions, use the present perfect, imperfect, past perfect, pluperfect, and the subjunctive mode. In this course, students will learn how to find new vocabulary and decide when to look a word up, and they will also learn to read a passage for meaning. They will also learn how to interpret a passage, even when they encounter unfamiliar grammatical structures. These skills prepare students for advanced language study. Students will use skills in the following areas and build global competency skills for future careers and experience based on the World-readiness Standards for Learning Languages from the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages: Communication, Cultures, Connections, Comparisons, and Communities.
Click here to read about the Well-Trained Mind Academy’s approach to foreign language learning. Note: We do not offer a delayed section for this course due to the live interaction that is key to learning language.
- French III; French IV Placement Test
- Students who completed French III with a different program will be given the opportunity to receive an individualized plan for getting up to speed for the coming year. After enrolling, email [email protected] to start this process with our French instructor Madame Schauer.
- Intrigue: langue, culture et mystère dans le monde francophone by Elizabeth A. Blood and Yasmina Mobarek. 3rd Edition with multi-year digital access. Pearson, 2011. ISBN 9780205994465
- To ensure online access comes with the book, order directly from the publisher.
- Pronounce it Perfectly in French: With Audio CDs (Barron’s Foreign Language Guides.) ISBN 9781438072814
Class meets three times per week for 50-55 minutes, or twice per week for one hour and fifteen minutes.
Class cap: 15 students.
Designed for grades 10-12.
Students in grades 9-12 may be awarded 1 Foreign Languages credit upon completion of this course.