Rhetoric Writing III
Full-year course. The third year of the Academy’s 3-year high school sequence. This course follows our Rhetoric II class. The focus is on advanced techniques in classical rhetoric; sophisticated, deliberate sentence and paragraph structure; analysis and understanding of both classical and modern essays in order to sharpen understanding; and the practice of scholarly forms in preparation for college writing. Click here for an explanation of our writing and grammar curriculum, and sample course sequences.
Prerequisite: Rhetoric II. For help in placement, see our writing assessment, which will be evaluated by Academy writing instructors.
Rhetoric Writing III Information
- Example Syllabus
- Class meets twice per week for 50-55 minutes.
- Class cap: average 12 students.
- Designed for grades 11-12.
- High school students may be awarded 1 Language Arts credit upon completion of this course.
- Click here to purchase the course texts.
- Rhetoric in the Classical Tradition, Winifred Bryan Horner
- Rhetorical Grammar: Grammatical Choices, Rhetorical Effects (8th edition), Martha Kolln and Loretta Gray
- On Copia of Words and Ideas, Desiderius Erasmus of Rotterdam