Summer Reading Club 1
Single-semester course. The WTMA Summer Reading Club is designed to keep logic-stage students engaged in reading and discussion over the summer break. Students will come together with their instructor once a week to talk about that week’s reading.
This course is meant to foster a student’s love of reading. There are no formal written assignments. Students who participate in all 8 sessions will receive a WTMA Summer Reading Club t-shirt. Participation credit is earned by attending the live class or by watching the recording of a class and then completing a discussion board response based on a prompt given by the instructor.
Course Theme: “Unlikely Heroes and Epic Adventures”
- Caddie Woodlawn, by Carol Ryrie Brink. ISBN 9781416940289
- The Book of Three, by Lloyd Alexander. ISBN 9780805080483
- Johnny Tremain, by Esther Hoskins Forbes. ISBN 9780547614328
- The Wolves of Willoughby Chase, by Joan Aiken. ISBN 9780440496038
- Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH, by Robert C. O’Brien. ISBN 9780689710681
- The Giver, by Lois Lowry. ISBN 9780544336261
- Holes, by Louis Sachar. ISBN 9780440414803
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: The Original Screenplay, by J.K. Rowling. ISBN 9781338109061 *Make sure to order the screenplay!
Class meets once per week for 50-55 minutes.
Class cap: 20 students.
Designed for students in grades 5-8.