Preparation for Pre-Algebra
Full-year course. Formerly Mathematics Foundations. This is designed as a course for students who have completed a K-6 math program, but have poor math skills or significant gaps in their math education. Therefore, because this is mainly a review course, some basic skills like measurement, time, and the metric system will not be covered. This course is designed to prepare students for upper middle school mathematics and science courses at the Well-Trained Mind Academy, including pre-algebra. Preparation for Pre-Algebra includes a review of basic arithmetic skills, including operations, number theory, decimals, percents, integers, variables, the Cartesian plane, and basic geometry. Emphasis is given to mastering fractions. The course also includes brief introductions to radicals and exponents, statistics, and probability.
Prerequisite: Students should complete the Preparation for Pre-Algebra Pre-Test. Preparation for Pre-Algebra is designed as a review course. Please make sure your student completes and passes the pre-test before enrolling. If you have any questions about the appropriateness of this course for your student, email [email protected]
- Mathematics Foundations: Well-Trained Mind Academy Edition. Available through Math Mammoth: https://www.mathmammoth.com/special/WTM_mathematics_foundations.php
- RightStart™ Fractions Worksheets, Hazelton, ND: Activities for Learning, Inc. ($8)
- RightStart™ Multiplication Card Deck, Hazelton, ND: Activities for Learning, Inc. ($6.75)
- RightStart™ Fraction Card Deck, Hazelton, ND: Activities for Learning, Inc. ($6.75)
- MathXL for School; access provided by the instructor, paid for through Well-Trained Mind Academy (textbook fee). $20. Click here to learn more about MathXL for School.
Class meets twice per week for 50-55 minutes.
Class cap: 15 students.
Designed for grades 6-9.