Preparation for Expository Writing
Full-year course. This course will focus on basic reading and writing skills to help students prepare for writing expository essays. Students will formulate and write down paragraphs based on assigned readings. Students will work to develop sentence and paragraph skills by imitation, leading to original composition. Intended for students who still do not write easily and struggle even with shorter assignments.
For help in placement, see our writing assessment, which will be evaluated by Academy writing instructors.
- Sentence Composing for Elementary School by Don Killgallon, ISBN 0325002231
- Paragraphs for Elementary School by Don Killgallon, ISBN 9780325047942
- Sentence Composing for Middle School by Don Killgallon, ISBN 9780867094190
- Paragraphs for Middle School by Don Killgallon, ISBN 9780325042688
- Selections from Writing with Ease, Levels 3 & 4 by Susan Wise Bauer (will be provided by the instructor)
Class meets twice per week for 50-55 minutes.
Class cap: average 12 students.
Designed for grades 6-8.