Summer Reading Club for the Logic Stage: Newbery Award Winners
Summer club. The WTMA Summer Reading Club is designed to keep logic-stage students engaged in reading and discussion over the summer break. Students will come together with their instructor and peers once a week to think and talk about that week’s reading. The summer reading club is designed to follow participants’ interests, and, therefore, student input will shape individual sessions, with the instructor serving as moderator for the academic discussion. This summer’s theme is “Student Favorites.” Students will read books from the last several years of summer reading club that previous students have particularly enjoyed.
This course is meant to foster a student’s love of reading. There are no formal written assignments — class attendance and participation is the only requirement (in addition to reading the texts). Students who participate in all 8 sessions will receive a WTMA Summer Reading Club t-shirt. Participation credit is earned by attending the live class or by watching the recording of a class and then completing a discussion board response based on a prompt given by the instructor. You may find these prompts under “discussion board” on our course Blackboard page.
After Week 1, several students will be assigned each week to serve as discussion facilitators for our meetings. When it is your week to serve as one of the discussion leaders, you should bring with you two open-ended questions about the text to ask your peers.
"This was my student’s first online course and so I found the teacher’s comments very helpful and thoughtfully written. Also, the teacher’s advice on classroom chat rules set up expectations very succinctly." - WTMA Parent R.C. Summer 2021
"Our son loved the variety/writing style of the selected books. The exposure to new authors and titles was exhilarating for him and in many cases, he chose to read other books by the authors. This was by far the most he’s read any summer!! Thank you for such a fantastic program and teacher!!" - Parent Course Evaluation Summer 2021
"I really liked my class and the books. I would never have chosen to read these titles on my own. I also like talking with peers about the books and leading discussions. I want to take this class next summer!!!!!" - Student Course Evaluation Summer 2021
You may also like...
Summer Reading Club for the Logic Stage: Newbery Award Winners Information
- Club meets once per week for 50-55 minutes.
- Club cap: 20 students.
- Designed for students in grades 6-8.
- Click here to purchase the club texts.
- The Island of the Blue Dolphins, Scott O’Dell (1961 Medal Winner)
- From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler, E. L. Konigsburg (1968 Medal Winner)
- Sounder, William H. Armstrong (1970 Medal Winner)
- The Westing Game, Ellen Raskin (1979 Medal Winner)
- The Midwife’s Apprentice, Karen Cushman (1996 Medal Winner)
- Moon over Manifest, Clare Vanderpool (2011 Medal Winner)
- When You Trap a Tiger, Tae Keller (2021 Medal Winner)
- The Last Cuentista, Donna Barba Higuera (2022 Medal Winner)