Full-year course. Preparation for upper middle school mathematics and science courses at the Well-Trained Mind Academy. This course is designed for those students who have completed an elementary mathematics program but do not possess strong math skills and who may have have gaps in their math knowledge, preventing success in the traditional curriculum sequence. Upon successful completion of this course, students should be armed with knowledge, skills, and abilities to be successful in the WTMA Saxon Pre-Algebra and Physics for the Logic Stage courses.
Mathematics Foundations includes a review of basic arithmetic skills, including operations, number theory, decimals, percents, integers, variables, the Cartesian plane, and basic geometry. Emphasis is given to mastering fractions. The course also includes brief introductions to radicals and exponents, statistics, and probability.
Students’ parents, guardians, or their designees are expected to assist students in completing some assigned tasks, and are required to verify some assignment completion. Students must scan selected work and upload it into Blackboard.
Prerequisite: Students should complete the Mathematics Foundations Pre-Test.
- Mathematics Foundations: Well-Trained Mind Academy Edition. Available through Math Mammoth: https://www.mathmammoth.com/special/WTM_mathematics_foundations.php
- RightStart™ Fractions Worksheets, Hazelton, ND: Activities for Learning, Inc. ($8)
- RightStart™ Multiplication Card Deck, Hazelton, ND: Activities for Learning, Inc. ($6.75)
- RightStart™ Fraction Card Deck, Hazelton, ND: Activities for Learning, Inc. ($6.75)
- MathXL for School; access provided by the instructor, paid for through Well-Trained Mind Academy (textbook fee). $20. Click here to learn more about MathXL for School.
Class meets twice per week for 50-55 minutes.
Class cap: 15 students.
Designed for grades 6-9.